AT A GLANCE
- A comprehensive course, developed and refined over the past 25 years, will teach you everything you need to get started in fly fishing.
- We have some of the most experienced and friendly instructors in the industry.
- We provide all the equipment so that you don’t have to purchase any gear.
- Price includes lunch, bottled drinking water, and morning/afternoon tea both days.
- Super low price of $390 means anyone can afford to try fly fishing
- We offer a host of follow-on services and trips to assist those who choose to continue on with their fly fishing journey.
- Simply put, we offer the best learn to fly fish program in Australia. This comprehensive and heavily discounted weekend workshop, will see you capable of independently fly fishing for trout by Sunday afternoon.
Join a group of 4-12 budding fly fishers, for a comprehensive two-day workshop that will give you express entry into the sport of fly fishing and cut years off of the learning process. We take you through all that you need to know, removing the superfluous and focusing on only the most important aspects.
Everything from gear to knots, insects to trout behavior; will be explained and illustrated in a practical way.
This is no stuffy workshop with lots of note taking and theory. We keep things interesting with the focus on delivering the necessary information in a relaxed environment.
The workshop commences at 9.30am on a Saturday (see scheduled dates below) in the Alexandra/Thornton area (less than two hours drive from Melbourne CBD and Melbourne Airport), and concludes at 5.00pm the following afternoon. We provide all of the gear including flies, rods, waders; as well tea/coffee/water, lunch and all instruction. All you need to bring is appropriate clothing for the weather, a hat, a pair of sunglasses and a willingness to have fun and learn.
Everyone is welcome to participate regardless of age and/or experience level. While it is a beginner’s workshop in name, many intermediate fly fishers also benefit from this course.
Maximum # Participants: 4-12 usually 8
- Gear overview
- Casting instruction
- Line management Fly selection
- Fly selection
- Trout behavior
- Reading water – lakes and rivers
- Interpreting hatches and trout behavior
- Stalking fish
- Fishing blind
- Casting to fish
- Releasing fish
Can’t see a date that suits your schedule? Grab some friends together and we will organise a workshop based on your specific needs and we will find the extra people to make up the numbers if you’re short on starters!
This is a great way to get a firm grounding in the sport. Our aim is to take you from total novice, to budding amateur in a single weekend. You will be capable of independent progress upon completion of the workshop; having a good grasp of both casting and how to find and fool trout with a fly.
$390 per person for the 2 Day Course. Price includes lunch and tea/coffee/biscuits (both days), tuition, course materials and use of any gear as required. Accommodation is not included in the price but we can assist you to find suitable accommodation nearby.
All of our instructors are professionals who guide full-time. With more than 130 years of fly fishing experience between them, they will be able to get you up and running in the shortest space of time.
KEY REASONS why you should learn to fly fish with us:
* only $390 per person for the 2 Day Workshop!!
* small group sizes with a instructor:participant ratio of 1:4 = more individual attention
* our instructors are full time professionals who teach fly fishing every single day
* we have some of the best trout streams in the country within a few minutes drive
* GVFFC has been teaching fly fishing full time since 1994
* we have taught thousands of people to fly fish over the years. We can teach you too!
* we have excellent beginner combos starting at $299 – these are good quality, ‘ready to fish’ rod/reel/line package and are available for purchase every day of the year.
Can’t find a suitable date for a our beginner’s workshop?
Never mind. We conduct private sessions for individuals or private groups every day of the year, at the normal teaching/guiding rate. If you can arrange a small group of friends, we will run the two day workshop on the days of your choosing, be they weekend or weekday.
Please view our price list by clicking here or phone us on 03 5773 2513 for more information.
Please note the Cancellation Policy before making a booking. ;-) Due to the heavily discounted price of our workshops, payment in full is required at the time of booking.
UPCOMING WORKSHOP DATES
HIGHLIGHTED DATES = LONG WEEKEND
|MAY||SAT 11 – SUN 12 MAY||YES|
|MAY||SAT 18 – SUN 19 MAY||YES|
|JUN||SAT 1 – SUN 2 JUN||YES|
|JUL||SAT 13 – SUN 14 JUL||YES|
|AUG||SAT 24 – SUN 25 AUG||YES|
|SEPT||SAT 7 – SUN 8 SEP||YES|
|SEPT||SAT 14 – SUN 15 SEP||YES|
|SEPT||SAT 21 – SUN 22 SEP||YES|
|SEPT||SAT 28 – SUN 29 SEP||YES|
|OCT||SAT 5 – SUN 6 OCT||YES|
|OCT||SAT 12 – SUN 13 OCT||YES|
|OCT||SAT 19 – SUN 20 OCT||YES|
|OCT||SAT 26 – SUN 27 OCT||YES|
|NOV||SAT 2 – SUN 3 NOV||YES|
|NOV||SAT 9 – SUN 10 NOV||YES|
|NOV||SAT 16 – SUN 17 NOV||YES|
|NOV||SAT 23 – SUN 24 NOV||YES|
|NOV||SAT 30 DEC – SUN 1 JAN||YES|
|DEC||SAT 7 – SUN 8 DEC||YES|
|DEC||SAT 14 – SUN 15 DEC||YES|
|DEC||SAT 21 – SUN 22 DEC||YES|
|DEC||SAT 28 – SUN 29 DEC||YES|
|JAN||SAT 4 – SUN 5 JAN||YES|
|JAN||SAT 11 – SUN 12 JAN||YES|
|JAN||SAT 18 – SUN 19 JAN||YES|
|JAN||SAT 25 – SUN 26 JAN||YES|
|FEB||SAT 1 – SUN 2 FEB||YES|
|FEB||SAT 8 – SUN 9 FEB||YES|
|FEB||SAT 15 – SUN 16 FEB||YES|
|FEB||SAT 22 – SUN 23 FEB||YES|
|FEB||SAT 29 FEB – SUN 1 MAR||YES|
|MAR||SAT 7 – SUN 8 MAR||YES|
|MAR||SAT 14 – SUN 15 MAR||YES|
|MAR||SAT 21 – SUN 22 MAR||YES|
|MAR||SAT 28 – SUN 29 MAR||YES|
|APR||SAT 4 – SUN 5 APR||YES|
|APR||SAT 11 – SUN 12 APR||YES|
|APR||SAT 18 – SUN 19 APR||YES|
|APR||SAT 25 – SUN 26 APR||YES|
|MAY||SAT 2 – SUN 3 MAY||YES|
|MAY||SAT 9 – SUN 10 MAY||YES|
|MAY||SAT 16 – SUN 17 MAY||YES|
|MAY||SAT 23 – SUN 24 MAY||YES|
|MAY||SAT 30 – SUN 31 MAY||YES|
|JUN||SAT 6 – SUN 7 JUN||YES|
|JUN||SAT 13 – SUN 14 JUN||YES|
Phone 03 5773 2513 today to book a spot at our next workshop!