Fly fish Montana with us
* TUE 2 JULY – FRI 12 JULY 2019 BOOKED OUT
* TUE 16 JULY – FRI 26 JULY 2019 4 SPOTS AVAILABLE
- the ultimate Montana trip – we utilise our extensive network of contacts and take you where the fishing is best at the time we are there – we are not tied down to one lodge and one region
- includes ten nights and nine days guided fishing, all transport and accommodation
- a mix of guided drift boat and guided wade fishing
- a completely flexible itinerary
At a glance
This trip of ten nights and ten days, offers up an of amazing array of dry fly fishing across three states.
There are nine days of guided fishing included in the package. Some of the rivers fished include the Missouri, Beaverhead, Madison, Yellowstone, Bighorn, South Fork of the Snake, the Teton, the Snake, the Green, the Henry’s Fork; as well as many, many more.
We provide you with the guides, accommodation and transport. All you need to do is get yourself there. And if you don’t have a fishing partner; we will find you one.
Pretty simple really.
This trip will offer up a feast of dry fly fishing opportunities, falling as it does at the very peak of the high-summer fishing season.
It is suitable for fly fishers of all ages and experience levels, and if you can’t bring a friend with you; we will find someone suitable to pair you up with. This trip is popular for couples, with two husband/wife pairings attending in 2017 and three the year before. Family groups have also been popular since we began visiting Montana with groups in 2010.
In 2019, we are following up on the new trip format that worked so well in July of 2018 and making this a fishing road trip, and we will go wherever the fishing is best at the time, securing hotel accommodation and guides on the go. By utilising our extensive network of local contacts, we can keep in touch with the fishing across the region and remain mobile, that way ensuring that we only fish the rivers that are fishing well when we are there.
With enough notice we can run trips in any ten day period from early-June to late October.
During the trip, the opportunity to fish Yellowstone National Park will arise. Most likely on Slough Creek or the Lamar River, two of the most scenic and highly regarded trout fisheries in the USA.
There are dozens of fishing options within a short drive of all the locations we visit; with spring creeks, tailwaters, meadow streams, pocket-watered canyon-walled rivers, and high country lakes a possibility.
For those wanting to fish till they drop, there are endless amounts of water to explore. We can fish early and stay out late, or even do two drifts in a single day to take in the evening rise. There are no hard and fast rules as to where we go and what we do, and the pace of these trips will be dictated by the needs and wishes of those who book.
For those wanting have a ‘holiday’ as well, there are many non-fishing related activities to indulge in. Yellowstone National Park is never far away and provides a very interesting 1-2 day tour via the loop roads. Bring your binoculars and spot bison, deer, elk, grizzly bears, ospreys and bald eagles and pack a rod to explore any enticing pieces of water that we cross along the way. There are also numerous nearby attractions with the Lower Mesa Falls, Chico hot springs, the towns of Jackson Hole and Bozeman, the battlefield on the Little Bighorn (Custer’s Last Stand), the Grand Teton National Park; as many, many more points of interest.
Meals are not included in the price, and we tend to self-cater as the homes we stay in have full kitchens. Breakfasts and lunches can be prepared at home, as can some dinners. Most of the time we tend to grab the evening meal from one of the numerous restaurants, cafes and bars in the areas that we fish.
All of the rivers we fish have healthy populations of either wild cutthroat, brook, brown and/or rainbow trout; so this is a trip suitable for everyone. Beginners will find that they catch plenty of fish and advance their skills much more quickly than when fishing the tougher waters back home in Australia. In the past we’ve had an equal number of beginners/experienced fly fishers in the larger groups of up to 20 that we’ve taken, and all have caught good numbers of fish, with the beginners feeling that they were vastly improved anglers upon their return.
Extrapolating on the theme of this trip being for everyone, age/fitness level is not an issue. With the vast majority of the fishing being done from drift boats, there is no need to walk big distances, or navigate rough terrain. Over the years we have had clients that range from 16-78 years of age.
While the trip is perfect for a couple of friends, a small group or a husband/wife or father/son pairing; each year some participants book without a fishing partner, leaving it to us to find them someone suitable to fish with. We work really hard to ensure that we pair the right people, sometimes taking several months to ensure that we make the right match.
This trip is a real adventure, to some of the best trout rivers on the planet. The places we visit are all rooted in the history and folklore of fly fishing. We have all read about rivers like the Missouri/Madison/Bighorn/Beaverhead/Gallatin/Henry’s Fork; as well as towns like Twin Bridges, Craig, Livingston, Island Park. All of these places are brought to life as we hit the road in search of trout, deep in the middle of an Australian winter.
There is no other trip of its kind and we welcome you to phone us on 03 5773 2513 to discuss the options.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE FISHING IN THE VIDEO BELOW
TUE Arrive in Montana. We will collect you and hit the road.
WED Drift boat fishing guided day included in price
THU Drift boat fishing guided day included in price
FRI Drift boat fishing guided day included in price
SAT Travel, tour and/or drift boat guided wade fishing included in price
SUN Travel, tour and/or drift boat guided wade fishing included in price
MON Drift boat fishing guided day included in price
TUE Drift boat fishing guided day included in price
WED Drift boat fishing guided day included in price
THU Drift boat fishing guided day included in price
FRI Fly home or continue on in USA with family or friends
Flying from the east coast of Australia is a relatively simple affair. Flights to Los Angeles depart daily from all east coast capitals, and once in the USA there are lots of options to get to Bozeman, Montana.
No matter your travel requirements, we can assist you to make the correct choice of flights.
Without going into too much detail here, your International flights will cost anywhere between $990 and $2500 AUD (Economy) depending on which airline you fly with and whether there are any specials running at the time you book. Return domestic flights within the USA will run between $300-500 USD.
Please phone us to discuss the options as we can assist you with any and all aspects of this trip.
HOW MUCH WILL THE WHOLE TRIP COST ME? as of July 2018
The trip price is $7,500 USD p.p. This price includes all accommodation (10 nights), 9 days of guided touring and fishing, transport and fuel. It doe’s not include fishing licences, meals, alcohol, flies or incidental purchases.
All told this trip will cost you around $10,500-11,500 USD based on the standard package and typical spending amounts. This includes airfares (both INTERNATIONAL and DOMESTIC).
As a comparison, most fly fishing trips to destinations in the USA cost around $6000-7000 USD for a six day/seven night package for meals, guiding and accommodation. But you still have to hire a vehicle, as well as add at least 20% more in tips, plus licences, flies, alcohol etc. Plus you are tied to one region/fishery for the duration of your trip. Our trip is for ten days, tips are not required, and we are completely mobile, meaning we can move to wherever the fishing is best at the time.
There is nothing even remotely like this trip on offer anywhere else.
KEY REASONS FOR CHOOSING US FOR YOUR USA FLY FISHING TRIP
– due to our long standing relationships with many people in the fly fishing industry – we can ensure that we can offer you the best fishing available at the time.
– we deal with all the outfitters, guides and accommodation providers in the USA on behalf of our group – meaning that you only deal with us. Transactions are with an Australian company that you can trust (24 years in business) and who you can phone/visit at any time to discuss any aspect of the trip.
– we have extensive experience traveling to and from, as well as within the region (Idaho/Montana/Wyoming). We can assist you with every aspect of the trip; from what gear to pack, to which travel insurance policies are best, and everything else in between. We also know most of the better operators across Idaho / Montana / Wyoming region and can help you to organise any extra time that you may have, either pre or post trip.
– we can offer an amazingly diverse array of World-Class water to fish. We have guide friends on all the aforementioned rivers and therefore have access to all the information required to ensure we find good fishing, and the best guides. This allows us an incredible variety of fishing options over the course of the trip
– if you are attending on your own, you will be fishing with a carefully selected group of fellow Australian fly fishers.
– small group size of 4 participants.
– our team will be with you for the duration of the trip; from the moment you arrive in Bozeman, to the time you depart for home ten days later.
I’M INTERESTED IN GOING? WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
1. Phone us to discuss your needs and determine whether this trip is a good fit.
2. Visit the ESTA website and get a Visa waiver for travel to the USA.
3. Organise your travel insurance.
4. Book your spot by paying us $7500 USD
Phone us on 03 5773 2513 with any questions that you have. We can assist you with all aspects of this trip having lead large groups there since 2010. Whether it is a question about airfares, connection times, visas, travel insurance, or even what fishing gear to pack; we can help you to make the right choices and to avoid most of the problems that people encounter.
Please feel free to phone us at anytime. We are here to help and would love to have you join our group of Aussie fly fishers visiting Montana in July, 2019.
Please view our price list by clicking here or phone us on 03 5773 2513 or 0418 995 611 for more information. We are available from 8am – 10pm, every single day of the year.
Please note the Cancellation Policy before making a booking. ;-)
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO SEE MORE PHOTOS FROM OUR IDAHO-MONTANA TRIPS