AT A GLANCE
- this new trip was listed @ 4pm on Tuesday 14 May
- SCHEDULED DATES: SUN 12th JULY – WED 22nd JULY, 2020
- PRICE $5,500 U.S.D. per person
- can’t do the scheduled dates but have a group of four or more anglers? We can run this trip at anytime. Prices on application.
- the ultimate Idaho and Montana trip for Australian fly fishers
- an eleven day trip that includes seven full days of guided fly fishing and ten night’s of accommodation with some non-fishing days scheduled for travelling and sightseeing / non-guided fishing. Guiding can also be arranged for these days as well or you can free fish with other members of the group.
- high quality accommodation near to the rivers that we fish.
- option to do the famous South Fork Hilton overnight luxury wilderness camp out. Ask us for the details and prices.
- fish the famed Missouri River in Montana; and the Henry’s Fork, South Fork and Teton rivers in Idaho. The Snake River in Wyoming is also on offer. Yellowstone National Park is only 90 minutes away as well.
- the trip price is based on twin-share accommodation/fishing and a discount will be given to those booking with a fishing partner. We may be able to find you a partner if you are unable to bring a friend – so please ask us when inquiring.
- transport can be included at an additional $490 U.S.D. person. We advise hiring a car with your fishing partner so that you are independent when not fishing. This is the least expensive option with a small car e.g. Ford Focus costing $600 U.S.D. for the ten day period or $300 U.S.D. p.p. based on twin-share.
WATCH TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE FISHING
|TRIP ITINERARY JULY 2020|
|SUN 12||Arrive Bozeman airport and drive to Craig, Montana|
|MON 13||Full day drift boat fishing Missouri River FISHING DAY 1|
|TUE 14||Full day drift boat fishing Missouri River FISHING DAY 2|
|WED 15||Full day drift boat fishing Missouri River FISHING DAY 3|
|THU 16||Drive to Idaho. Sightseeing. NO GUIDED FISHING SCHEDULED|
|FRI 17||Full day drift boat fishing FISHING DAY 4|
|SAT 18||Full day drift boat fishing FISHING DAY 5|
|SUN 19||Rest day NO GUIDED FISHING SCHEDULED|
|MON 20||Full day drift boat fishing FISHING DAY 6|
|TUE 21||Full day drift boat fishing FISHING DAY 7|
|WED 22||Trip ends in Victor, Idaho|
This trip will begin at Craig, Montana on Sunday 12th July, 2020. Participants are advised to fly into Bozeman Montana, hire a vehicle and take the short 2h20m drive to Craig; our first stop for four nights and three days on the legendary Missouri River.
We have sourced some comfortable accommodation right near the best section of one of the best trout rivers on earth. The Missouri is a tailwater and its upper section near Craig can best be described as ‘spring creek’ like with an over-abundance of trout.
The Mo is approximately 50-90 metres wide and mostly 3-5 feet deep with amazing weed-beds, and stupendous numbers of aquatic insects and trout.
Perfect trout water.
Drifts will start by 9am and go through until around 5pm, with the option to start and end earlier for those who want to try their hand at trico fishing at first light. While all of the homes that we rent have fully equipped kitchens, meaning you can self-cater, there are a couple of good options for dinner in the town of Craig; only a few minute’s drive from where we will be staying.
Evening rises can also be out of this world, but we find that most trip participants have caught enough fish during the day to not feel compelled to go back out on dark. Most preferring a few wines or beers before hitting the hay and repeating the cycle the following day.
After three very full days of fishing on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday; we get up early on Thursday and make our way down into Idaho for the second leg of the trip. This is a five hour drive, and most choose to make it a day trip of sightseeing and relaxing.
Driving south you will encounter many world-class trout rivers including the Jefferson, Madison, Henry’s Fork; or if you take the long way around via Bozeman, the Gallatin, Upper Madison and then Henry’s Fork. There is also the chance to stop in the ghost town of Virgina City, or the Yellowstone National Park gateway town of West Yellowstone, or even deviate into the park itself for a few hours of exploring.
Arriving Thursday afternoon or evening, we will move into very nice and comfortable homes near to the Teton River. After which we can all go out to attend the Music on Main weekly’s summer festival in Victor, where we can grab dinner and enjoy a social evening comprised of good music and food; before heading out the following day to fish.
This part of Idaho is home to some of the best dry fly rivers in the entire USA. The South Fork of the Snake. The Teton. The Henry’s Fork are but a few of the options. And the Snake River itself is just a 25 minute jump across the pass into Wyoming.
Every one of the aforementioned rivers would make it onto a ‘world’s top ten dry fly fisheries’ list; all having world-class hatches and big numbers of fish. Some having upwards of 7,000 trout per mile!!
There are too many fishing options to mention, and as such this trip barely scratches the surface of what’s really on offer. As such, participants are guaranteed to leave with the urge to return in future, having caught plenty of fish and having seen some amazing scenery.
There are two consecutive days of guided fishing scheduled for Fri 17 and Sat 18, followed by one day of rest. Then two more days of fishing on Mon 20 and Tue 21.
The trip ends on the following morning Wed 22; at which point participants can either travel home to Australia, or continue on fishing in the USA.
This trip will offer up a veritable feast of dry fly fishing opportunities, falling as it does at the very peak of the northern hemisphere, high-summer fishing season. It is suitable for fly fishers of all ages, fitness and/or experience levels; and to date has been popular with couples, families, and groups/pairings of friends.
With the vast majority of the fishing being done from drift boats, there is no need to walk big distances, or navigate rough terrain. Over the years we have had clients that range from 16-81 years of age who have done this trip.
This trip is suitable for pairs or even larger groups. If you are a single angler please contact us and we will do our best to find you a fishing partner.
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
Seven days of guided drift boat fishing (you can choose wading if you prefer), and ten nights of very comfortable accommodation. All you need to do is get yourself to the starting point of the trip at Craig, Montana on the afternoon of Sunday 12th July.
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
Flights, meals, car hire, fuel, flies, tips/gratuities.
Please phone us on 03 5773 2513 or 0418 995 611 to discuss the trip in more detail.
KEY REASONS FOR CHOOSING US FOR YOUR USA FLY FISHING TRIP
– due to our long standing relationships with many people in the fly fishing industry – and the fact that we book twelve months in advance – we can ensure that you experience the best fishing available at the time of your trip with the best guides available.
– we deal with all the outfitters, guides and accommodation providers in the USA on behalf of our group – meaning that you only deal with us. Transactions are with an Australian company that you can trust (25 years in business) and who you can phone/visit at any time to discuss any aspect of the trip.
– we have extensive experience traveling to and from, as well as within the region (Idaho/Montana/Wyoming). We can assist you with every aspect of the trip; from what gear to pack, to which travel insurance policies are best, and everything else in between. We also know most of the better operators across Idaho / Montana / Wyoming region and can help you to organise any extra fishing / touring time that you may have, either pre or post trip.
– our team will be there to support you for the duration of the trip; either staying in the same accommodation, or close by. Guided fishing will be conducted by The Trout Shop in Montana; and by Worldcast Anglers in Idaho/Wyoming. We are not guiding on this trip, but we will be available to assist you and there will be a chance to fish with us at some stage as we will have our own boat as well. This will be our eleventh year running these trips.
I’M INTERESTED IN GOING? WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
1. Phone us to discuss your needs and determine whether this trip is a good fit.
2. Visit the ESTA website and get a Visa waiver for travel to the USA.
3. Organise your travel insurance.
4. Book your spot by paying us a 50% deposit, with balance due no later than March 12, 2020.
Phone us on 03 5773 2513 with any questions that you have. We are available from 8am – 10pm, every single day of the year and we can assist you with all aspects of the trip.
Please note the Cancellation Policy before making a booking. ;-)
SOUTH FORK HILTON TRIP PICS