AT A GLANCE
- Super low price of $390 means anyone can afford to try fly fishing. We also run this course as a condensed, single full day for one or two anglers, on any day of the year for $690
- A comprehensive course, developed and refined over the past 27 years, will teach you everything you need to get started in fly fishing.
- We have some of the most experienced and personable instructors in the industry.
- We provide all the equipment so that you don’t have to purchase any gear.
- Price includes lunch, drinking water, and morning/afternoon tea both days.
- We offer a host of follow-on services and trips to assist those who choose to continue on with their fly fishing journey. Stay an extra day (Monday) for a discounted ($100 off the advertised rate) full day of 1:1 streamcraft instruction.
- Simply put, we offer the best learn to fly fish program in Australia. This comprehensive and heavily discounted weekend workshop, will see you capable of independently fly fishing for trout by Sunday afternoon.
- Booking bonus for those able to put together a group of five or more. Ask us.
- Organise your own group of five or more and we will run this on any two days of your choosing.
- Accommodation options to suit all tastes and budgets.
- Read our TripAdvisor reviews to learn why so many people choose our two day weekend fly fishing workshop.
- COVID SECURE is our guarantee that should a trip with us be interrupted on account of Government imposed covid restrictions – all payments are fully transferable to a future date. Learn more here.
Join a group of budding fly fishers for a comprehensive two-day workshop that will give you express entry into the sport and cut years from the learning process. We take you through all that you need to know, removing the superfluous and focusing on only the most important aspects.
Everything from gear to knots, insects to trout behavior, casting to fishing techniques; will be explained and illustrated in a practical way.
This is no stuffy workshop with lots of note taking and theory. We keep things
interesting with the focus on delivering the necessary information in a relaxed environment.
The workshop commences at 9.30 am on a Saturday (see scheduled dates below) in Alexandra (less than two hours drive from Melbourne CBD and Melbourne Airport), and concludes at 5.00pm the following afternoon. We provide all of the gear including flies, rods, waders; as well tea/coffee/water, lunch and all instruction.
All you need to bring is appropriate clothing for the weather, a hat, a pair of sunglasses and a willingness to have fun and learn.
Everyone is welcome to participate regardless of age and/or experience level. While it is a beginner’s workshop in name, many intermediate fly fishers would also benefit from completing this course; with some regulars doing it every other year as a refresher.
# Participants: 5 – 15.
- Gear overview
- Casting instruction
- Line management Fly selection
- Fly selection
- Trout behavior
- Reading water – lakes and rivers
- Interpreting hatches and trout behavior
- Stalking fish
- Fishing blind
- Casting to fish
- Releasing fish
This is a great way to get a firm grounding in the sport. Our aim is to take you from total novice, to competent amateur in a single weekend. You will be capable of independent progress upon completion of the workshop; having a good grasp of casting and how to find and fool trout with a fly in the wild.
For those wanting to take their newly acquired skills to the next level, we offer a discounted full day of 1:1 streamcraft instruction for those wanting to stay on and continue their learning on the Monday.
Further to this, help is only a phone call away, as we are always here to answer any questions that arise in the future. We have been in business since 1994 and are always available to assist.
$390 per person for the 2 Day Course. Price includes lunch and tea/coffee/biscuits (both days), tuition, course materials and use of any gear as required. Accommodation is not included in the price but we can assist you to find suitable lodging in the area. A list of recommended places is sent out to everyone who books.
All of our instructors are professionals who guide full-time. With more than 200 years of combined fly fishing experience between us, we will be able to get you up and running in the shortest space of time.
KEY REASONS why you should learn to fly fish with us:
* only $390 per person for the 2 Day Workshop!!
* an instructor : participant ratio of 1:5 or less
* our instructors are full time professionals who teach fly fishing every single day
* we have some of the best trout streams in the country within a short drive
* GVFFC has been teaching fly fishing full time since 1994
* we have taught thousands of people to fly fish over the years. We can teach you too!
* we have excellent beginner combos starting at $390 – these are good quality, ‘ready to fish’ rod / reel / line package and are available for purchase every day of the year.
Can’t find a suitable date for a our beginner’s workshop?
Nevermind. We conduct private sessions for individuals or groups every day of the year, at the normal teaching/guiding rate. If you can arrange a small group of friends (minimum 5), we will run the two day workshop at the same low rate on any days of your choosing!
This workshop is also popular with couples with some wonderful homes available for rent if you’d like to make it a weekend away with a group of friends and their partners.
Please view our price list by clicking here or phone us on 03 5773 2513 for more information.
Please note the Cancellation Policy before making a booking. ;-) Due to the heavily discounted price of our workshops, payment in full is required at the time of booking.
UPCOMING WORKSHOP DATES
|JULY||SAT 10 – SUN 11||YES|
|SEPTEMBER||SAT 4 – SUN 5||YES|
|SEPTEMBER||SAT 11 – SUN 12||YES|
|SEPTEMBER||SAT 18 – SUN 19||YES|
|SEPTEMBER||SAT 25 – SUN 26||YES|
|OCTOBER||SAT 2 – SUN 3||YES|
|OCTOBER||SAT 9 – SUN 10||YES|
|OCTOBER||SAT 16 – SUN 17||YES|
|OCTOBER||SAT 23 – SUN 24||YES|
|NOVEMBER||SAT 6 – SUN 7||NO|
|NOVEMBER||SAT 13 – SUN 14||YES|
|NOVEMBER||SAT 20 – SUN 21||YES|
|NOVEMBER||SAT 28 – SUN 29||YES|
|DECEMBER||SAT 4 – SUN 5||YES|
|DECEMBER||SAT 11 – SUN 12||YES|
|DECEMBER||SAT 18 – SUN 19||YES|
|JANUARY||SAT 1 – SUN 2||YES|
|JANUARY||SAT 8 – SUN 9||YES|
|JANUARY||SAT 15 – SUN 16||YES|
|JANUARY||SAT 22 – SUN 23||YES|
|JANUARY||SAT 22 – SUN 23||YES|
|JANUARY||SAT 29 – SUN 30||YES|
|FEBRUARY||SAT 5 – SUN 6||NO|
|FEBRUARY||SAT 12 – SUN 13||NO|
|FEBRUARY||SAT 19 – SUN 20||NO|
|FEBRUARY||SAT 26 – SUN 27||NO|
|MARCH||SAT 6 – SUN 7||NO|
|MARCH||SAT 13 – SUN 14||NO|
|MARCH||SAT 20 – SUN 21||YES|
|MARCH||SAT 27 – SUN 28||YES|
|APRIL||SAT 2 – SUN 3||YES|
|APRIL||SAT 9 – SUN 10||YES|
|APRIL||SAT 16 – SUN 17||YES|
|APRIL||SAT 23 – SUN 24||YES|
|APRIL||SAT 30 – SUN 1||YES|
|MAY||SAT 7 – SUN 8||YES|
|MAY||SAT 14 – SUN 15||YES|
|MAY||SAT 21 – SUN 22||YES|
|MAY||SAT 29 – SUN 30||YES|
|JUNE||SAT 4 – SUN 5||YES|
|JUNE||SAT 11 – SUN 12||YES|
We run Australia’s most comprehensive guide service with everything from beginner lessons to the tuition of advanced specialist techniques; all the way through to drift boat fly fishing and adventures to the South Island of New Zealand, Montana (USA) and Patagonia (Argentina).
We are available to speak from 8am – 10pm every day of the week, and are always here to help you on your fly fishing journey.
Phone 03 5773 2513 book or learn more.
The completion of this course will open up the door to world of fly fishing opportunites with follow-on services and a multitude of trips for those keen to explore.