HALF DAY – FULL DAY – MULTI-DAY
AT A GLANCE
- Our most relaxing and de-stressing service. We promise that you will lose all sense of time and ‘the outside world’, as you concentrate on watching your drifting fly and taking in the sights and sounds of the river.
- If you have limited time to fish, the drift boat will give you the best opportunity of catching fish on any given day. We typically drift 15 – 25km of river.
- We are the only professional drift boat service on the Goulburn River, with 27 seasons of exemplary / incident-free operation.
- We have the very best of the local guides on our roster, and we can show you an amazing day out; all within day-trip distance of Melbourne.
- We offer half day (4.5-5 hour) and full day (8 hour) drift boat trips on the Goulburn River.
- Multiday, multiboat trips a specialty. Let us design a customised itinerary of drift boat and/or walk/wade fishing for your group. We can also arrange accommodation from comfortable clean hotel rooms to upmarket homesteads.
- Scheduled multi-day trips on offer here on the Goulburn or in N.S.W. with our Tailrace Grandlsam trip.
- We can often cater to last-minute inquiries and be on the water ready to fish within 30 minutes of being contacted.
- Our trips include a professional guide and imported drift boat, drinking water, tea and coffee (at cooler times of the year), and use of any gear.
- We cater to all fly fishers of any age. Our youngest angler this year was 10 and our most senior was 90.
- You need to be able to cast 10 – 15 metres to make the most of your day. The drift boat is not suitable for beginner fly fishers.
- We guarantee you’ll have a memorable day and have zero snake encounters.
- COVID SECURE is our guarantee that should a trip with us be interrupted on account of Government imposed covid restrictions – all payments are fully transferable to a future date. Learn more here.
- Read our TripAdvisor reviews and learn why we are Australia’s best drift boat operation.
Fish the Goulburn River from one of our drift boats
Fishing from a drifting boat is one of the most pleasurable ways to fly fish for trout and we have been running float trips on the Goulburn River on a daily basis since 1994. While we originally started off with inflatable rafts, we switched to the more maneuverable and comfortable (and costly!) American built drift boats in 2009. These were imported from the USA and we now have four boats available to cater to larger group bookings.
These boats are extremely comfortable and safe when being rowed by an expert guide, allowing those on board to explore the river and fish literally thousands of likely spots with ease. Backwaters and off-river lagoons offer superb sight fishing to cruising trout, and mid-river gravel bars, inaccessible to the bank angler, offer the chance to fish water that is simply ‘out of reach’ to wading anglers.
While floating the Goulburn the fly fisher has access to both banks, and because the cast is often parallel with the current, the fly can run free of drag, often for 30 metres or more at a time. A boat may cover up to 25 kilometres of river in a day, unfolding a feast of countless fish-holding features such as bubble lines, runs in the centre of the river, high impassable banks, outer edges of willow trees, backwaters, steep-edged hopper banks, side-channels and gravel bars; nearly all of which are inaccessible to the wading angler at times of higher water releases from October through May.
Over the past two and a half decades we have developed a vast array of skills and techniques for fishing the Goulburn from a drift boat. While much of it was learned here on our home waters through hard work and trial and error; we are also influenced by our time spent fishing with the best guides in places like Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Fishing for trout from a drift boat in these locations, often for months at a time during the southern hemisphere winter, ensures that we are always evolving and improving what we do as fishing guides.
Polarising vast weed beds and stalking rising fish from a boat being stealthily and silently maneuvered by a guide is something every Australian fly fisher should experience, and a big part of what we do is finding fish before we cast. Sure, anyone can launch a boat and occasionally run into a fish as they drift downstream, but after 27 years of guiding on this technical river, it’s safe to say that we know it better than anyone else, and we can ensure that you have the best of the available opportunities on any given day.
Frequently, four or five rods will be rigged to cover the gamut of situations that may arise. A float trip on the Goulburn could see you doing everything from stalking a backwater cruiser with a beetle, to nymphing a mid-river gravel bar; from slapping a streamer into an undercut bank, to carefully presenting delicate dries to a fish sipping spent spinners on the evening rise.
It really is an exciting river to fish and the challenge of consistently doing well for our clients, every single day; and at all river levels; is what drives our team of guides to constantly produce their best.
Float trips on the Goulburn River are available every day. We guide on all public holidays, except for Christmas Day, and are available at any time of the day, on any day of the week.
Our float trips are extremely popular and while you can often walk in off the street and be on the water within 30 minutes, our advice is to book ahead where possible. Half, full day and ‘Evening Rise’ drifts are available every day of the season, and the start/end time is dictated by your personal needs/schedule.
There’s room on our boats for two anglers plus the guide, meaning you can bring a friend with you. Non-fishing partners are more than welcome and it is a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon; ‘watching the world go by’ from the back of the boat. If you wish to drift with a larger group of friends, we simply use more boats.
As with all our guided/teaching trips, we will supply any gear that you do not have.
While your guide will work hard all day to put you in front of fish, strict attention to safety is our highest priority. Since commencing operations in 1994, we have not had a single safety incident.
All GVFFC trips have a strict catch and release policy. This is to help ensure the river’s moderate stocks of fish are maintained. We will however, ensure that you get some high quality photos of your fish. Done properly, the fish is released unharmed and the moment is preserved forever.
All float trips include a professionally accredited guide to both row the drift boat and ensure that you have the best fishing experience possible on the day. Terminal tackle is included (tippets/flies), as is plenty of cold water, transport and use of any gear that you don’t have, on a replace if broken basis.
Drift Boat Prices
- Half Day – 4.5 – 5 hours — TOTAL PRICE $590 — for either 1 or 2 anglers
- Full Day – 8 hours — TOTAL PRICE $790 — 1 or 2 for either anglers –
- All guided trips include use of all gear (if required) and flies. We are no longer offering lunch on our full day trips. We have taken this decision to avoid having to increase our prices as costs continue to rise. Coolers with ice will be provided on all drifts and we encourage people to bring their own sandwich/lunch.
Please note that our listed prices are for the service advertised – not per person. For example if you book a half day drift boat trip at $590, the price is $590 for the boat and guide irrespective of whether one or two people went along. Meaning if you booked it 1:1, it would be $590. If you booked with a friend it would be $590 split two ways – or $275 each.
These prices are subject to change and will be reviewed on July 1, 2022.
Accommodation options ranging from inexpensive to upmarket are available to suit all tastes and budgets.
Phone us on 03 5773 2513 or 0418 995 611 to discuss the options. We are available to chat from 8am – 10pm, every day.
Please read our Cancellation Policy before making a booking. ;-)
Please scroll down to see some more pics from our drift boat trips