* NEW MARCH DATES FOR GROUP BOOKINGS JUST ADDED 24/09/21
AT A GLANCE
- COVID SECURE is our guarantee that should a trip with us be interrupted on account of Government imposed covid restrictions – all payments are fully transferable to a future date. Learn more here.
- Goulburn Valley Fly Fishing has been licensed to guide in Southland, New Zealand by the Department of Conservation since December, 2000.
- One full week running Sunday to Sunday.
- Set dates listed but can be run anytime November – April.
- Small group sizes with 1:2 guide : client ratio.
- Ask about our packages for larger groups still at 1:2 guide : client ratio.
- Cottage accommodation > 150 metres from a world-class river with fish to 10 lb trout.
- Numerous clear flowing streams within a 30 minute drive.
- A mix of home-cooked and local restaurant dinners.
- A relaxed social experience each night with the guides and other participants.
- Suitable for all fly fishers of any age / experience / fitness level.
- Couples friendly. We have separate/private accommodation available for couples.
- Upmarket accommodation upgrade option. Prices on inquiry.
- Bring a friend or let us find you a suitable fishing partner. See details below.
- An experienced team of guides who’ve worked together for more than 20 years.
- FREE orientation and skill-building days to prepare you for the trip.
- GVFFC has been guiding fly fishers full-time since 1994.
- Fully licensed to guide in New Zealand by Dept. of Conservation.
- A percentage the trip prices goes toward conservation in the region.
- Low price of only $4,700 AUD per person for the full week away.
- Expressions of interest taken anytime.
- Booking schedule is:
- MAR 22 Taking Bookings
- NOV 1 Trip balances are due.
- Payment Schedule
- Deposit: 50% deposit ($2,350) due on booking
- Balance: balance ($2,350) due by November 1.
- Read our TripAdvisor reviews to hear what our client’s have to say about our New Zealand trips. Some have been re-booking for the past twenty years!
Our trips include seven nights of accommodation and six days of guided fly fishing with all transport, accommodation, meals, and flies all covered in the price.
Alcohol, fishing licences, incidental purchases, and flights are the only things not included.
With some of the best trout streams in New Zealand a literal stone’s throw away, and a great team of experienced guides helping to bring out your very best; places on these trips are highly sought after each year.
Our base of operations is located in the stunning Aparima River valley, at the geographical centre of the Southland region. This wide, flat valley, flanked by low mountains and back-dropped by jagged peaks off to the west, is the perfect location for fly fishers looking to target the wild trout of the Southland region of New Zealand.
With more than 40 clear flowing rivers within a 75 minute drive, and a river with 3-11lb fish running through the property, we can minimise the amount of time spent in the car each day; and maximise the amount of time spent stalking trophy trout.
The South Island of New Zealand is very easy to travel to. Inexpensive, three-hour direct flights depart from all east coast Australian capitals to Queenstown daily.
Once on the ground in Queenstown, representatives from our company will be awaiting your exit from NZ Customs and Immigration. Once cleared you will be whisked away on a stunning ninety-minute drive down to the farmhouse and the beginning of your week of fly fishing.
There are several accommodation options on the property, but most of our groups stay in the cottage.
It has three bedrooms, a bathroom, lounge area, kitchen, and outdoor deck for BBQ’s in summer, and caters for groups of four to six anglers. Each bedroom has two comfortable single beds, set up in a twin-share arrangement.
The amenities are clean and comfortable but not upmarket. Think three star but in a peaceful rural setting, only 100 metres from a beautiful trout stream.
There is also a single room aka loft adjacent to the main homestead near the guide’s quarters. This is suitable for couples and only available on request and subject to availability. This extra space means that couples can have their own private trip away from the main group, or that we can cater to slightly larger groups of anglers.
We also have acccess to an upmarket cottage in the area that has four bedrooms and is suitable for up to eight people. This well appointed lodging is very popular for couples and small groups wanting a little more comfort on their trip. Subect to availability. Prices on inquiry.
We have two meals each week in the main homestead, including on the first night of the trip when guests arrive (Sunday). These meals are prepared by our hosts.
On the other nights we eat out at local restaurants. Sometimes this can be up to an hour away from the farmhouse, when for example we choose stay out to fish the evening rise at a distant river. At other times it will be much closer to home (10 minute’s drive). We also try to have a B.B.Q. night on the deck of the farmhouse each week. Weather permitting.
Breakfasts are self-catered with all the staples provided. Muesli. Cereals. Eggs. Bacon. Toast. Fruit. Yogurt. Milk.
Lunches are prepared fresh each morning and usually take the form of healthy sandwiches, fresh fruit and some sweets. Bottled drinking water is always available.
The Southland region of New Zealand is home to literally dozens of World-Class trout streams. While the Mataura and Oreti need no introduction, and yes you will have the opportunity to test your mettle against the wily inhabitants of these legendary rivers during your visit; it is the many other streams of the region, some nameless, others just overlooked in this the age of social media, that provide us with stellar dry fly fishing to large, sighted, rainbow and brown trout.
The average size is a solid 3 – 4 lb with many in the 7 – 8lb range and some in the mythical 10+ class. Unlike many other parts of the trout world, these large fish will eat dry flies at any time of the day.
The fishing in New Zealand can be more demanding than other places because your casting must be accurate; not only to ensure a good presentation, but also to remain unseen by the fish in the crystal clear water. The good news is that while casts must be accurate, they need not be long. Most fish can be approached to within a comfortable casting distance.
As a result, these trips are for fly fishers of all skill and fitness levels. In regard to skills, there are rivers where the fish are of a smaller average size e.g. 2 – 4 lb, but where they are a little easier to fool. On the fitness side, yes it’s true there are many rivers that require long walks, over often rough ground or big rocks. But for every one of those rivers, there is another that has fine, hard-packed gravel that is easily navigated.
There are spring creeks, freestone rivers and tailwaters. It all comes down to what sort of water you prefer to fish each day. Want to chase trophy fish on the open windswept rivers of the main valley floor? No problem. Prefer a small stream where 3-5 lb fish are targeting willow grubs at very close range? We’ve got you covered.
Each day we will work with you to choose a fishing location based on your preferences, abilities, and of course; the weather.
GUIDE : CLIENT RATIO
All of our trips are based on a guide:client ratio of 1:2. That is, there is a guide for every two fly fishers. Most weeks are set out as four anglers with two guides, but we can cater to single anglers for 1:1 trips and larger groups. No matter the number of people in the week you book, we never go beyond the 1:2 ratio that ensures that you get lots of quality time with a guide at your shoulder, and plenty of shots at sighted fish.
BRING A FRIEND OR BOOK A GROUP
Without a doubt, the best way to do this trip is with a friend or family member. Having someone you know to share the experience with makes it all the more enjoyable, and ensures for the best possible match in a fishing partner.
Please let us know if you are interested in more than one spot when you inquire so that we can discuss the options. Book out an entire week and receive a booking bonus.
AGE, EXPERIENCE AND FITNESS
These trips are suitable for fly fishers of any age, experience or fitness level. We simply adjust the pace of the trip to suit the participants each week.
Don’t want to battle the wind or walk over rough ground due to an old knee complaint? No problem. We have plenty of sheltered rivers that offer easy wading and a slower pace. We regularly run trips for groups aged 75+, and can put together a fabulous week of fishing that isn’t physically demanding.
Conversely, for those of you wishing to pack in as much fishing as possible during your one week with us in New Zealand, our guides are all fit, hard-working and agile, and able to go as hard as you want each day.
Don’t be put off booking because you don’t think you’ll be able to handle the fishing. We have built our business on getting people ready for their NZ trip and we can assist you with your casting pre-trip, as well as work with you day to day while there. We also run free orientation weekends for all participants at regular intervals throughout the year. 2022 will be our 28th year in business and we have made our reputation on exceeding the expectations of our clients over that period.
If you’ve always wanted to fish New Zealand but have thought it to be out of reach, please phone us for a friendly chat about how we can assist you to properly prepare for your adventure.
FREE NEW ZEALAND ORIENTATION WEEKENDS
We are again running our free NZ Orientation Weekends throughout 2021-2022 to assist participants in preparing for all aspects of the trip. With sessions on casting, gear set-up and streamcraft. This two day event at our base of operations in Alexandra is a must-do for anyone who wishes to improve their skills prior to their trip.
Please visit the New Zealand Orientation Weekend page on our website to learn more.
Goulburn Valley Fly Fishing is licensed to guide in New Zealand by the Department of Conservation Southland. We have held this qualification since December, 2000.
We are also members of the Professional Fishing Instructors and Guides Association of Australia (PFIGA); we are licensed and insured, hold First Aid, Swiftwater Rescue and Working with Children certification.
Each of our guides does upward of 250+ days per year on both bank and drift boat. We are full-time professionals who do nothing but teach and guide fly fishing; also leading trips to Montana in our off-season, and to Patagonia and other parts of the fly fishing world.
On any given week they might be teaching a group of beginners, rowing drift boats, instructing casting, entomology or streamcraft, or even leading a class at one of Melbourne’s Grammar schools. They all guide in New Zealand each year for 6-10 weeks each and are well-versed in all areas of fly fishing, making them terrific
We feel that choosing a full time professional who is on the water every day is perhaps the most important factor to consider when choosing a guide and we urge you to thoroughly research any operation before committing to a booking.
Twenty seven years of exemplary service is our guarantee of what you can expect from every member of our team.
REVIEWS ON TRIP ADVISOR
BOOKING – PAYMENTS – CANCELLATION
- Our booking schedule is:
- MAR 15 First option to returning clients
- APR 1 Bookings open to everyone.
- NOV 1 Trip balances due.
- A 50% ($2,350) deposit is required at the time of booking. Payments can be made by credit card or EFT / bank wire transfer.
- The 50% ($2,350) balance is due no later than November 1st.
- A valid credit card is also required at the time of booking, regardless of the chosen method of payment.
- In the event of your cancellation:
- We will attempt to rebook the spots by advertising them on our website, via email and through social media. We will do this right up until the day that your trip is scheduled to begin. We can only rebook a cancelled spot when all other spots on the trip have been filled.
- If we are able to rebook the spot in this way, a full refund will be given.
- If we are unable to rebook the spot, no refund can be given.
- We strongly urge you to take out an appropriate level of travel insurance for your NZ trip before you book, so that you are covered in the unlikely event that you need to cancel.
Cancellations are only refundable if we can find a suitable replacement, which can only happen once the rest of the spots in your week are completely booked.
COVID POLICY (NEW ZEALAND TRIPS)
If COVID prevents these trips from running, your payment can be used in one of two ways.
- Your payment/s can be put toward a future NZ trip within the next five years.
- Your payment/s can be put toward an alternative trip here in Australia of equivalent value e.g. a full week Snowy Mountain or Tasmania trip. This will be based on all members of your group booking the same week.
We will be offering a full program of replacement trips here in Australia in the unlikely event that future covid restrictions disrupt travel to New Zealand in 2022.
Payment of a deposit is acknowledgment that trip participants have read, understood and accepted our Booking and Cancellation Policy as outlined above.
PLEASE NOTE – No refunds are available for unused portions of any package. All rates are subject to change without notice.
Our Cancellation Policy can be viewed here.
If you would like more information about these trips, please phone, text, or email us and we will get back you promptly.
A detailed pre-trip packet describing all aspects of the trips is available and can be emailed to you upon request.
If you wish to speak with us, please use the contact details below.
If calling from Australia
Landline – 03 5773 2513
Mobile – 0418 995 611
If calling from the U.S.A.
Landline – 011 61 3 5773 2513
Mobile – 011 61 418 995 611
We thank you for taking the time to read about our New Zealand trips and we hope to fish with you soon.
|GOULBURN ADVENTURE||TAILRACE GRAND SLAM|
|CLICK TO LEARN MORE||CLICK TO LEARN MORE|