TRIP DOT POINTS
- The perfect New Zealand or international trip replacement for your group.
- Scheduled dates are listed below but this trip can be run at any time for groups of 4 – 8 anglers.
- Five full days of drift boat fly fishing on three of the best fly-fishing rivers in Australia with the option to walk-wade fish any of 30 smaller streams in the surrounding area.
- Six nights of accommodation Sunday – Friday included. Check in Sunday afternoon – Checkout Saturday morning.
- Scheduled dates run through the mid to late Spring and Autumn to avoid warm water temps of summer.
- Trips can be run on any week of your choosing if you have a minimum of four in your group.
- Meals – Lunches are included on the guided days. Dinners and breakfasts are a mixture of pay your own way at local restaurants and self-cater.
- Trips are run by two to three of our leading guides. One guide per pair of anglers.
- Suitable for any age or fitness level. No hard walking in the heat or extended wading on slippery rocks. Fish from the comfort of our safe and stable drift boats.
- Guide : Client ratio 1:2. Minimum of four people per trip. Maximum of eight.
- Prices on Application. We can no longer publish a price for this trip as the cost of accommodation from third party providers is fluctuating constantly due to excessive demand from travellers..
- Deposit = $500 per person. Deposit is fully transferable to another date or trip/service if government restrictions prevent us from running a scheduled trip.
- COVID SECURE is our guarantee that should a trip with us be interrupted on account of Government imposed covid restrictions – all payments are fully transferable to a future date. Learn more here.
Fish three of the best drift boating rivers in the country (Mitta Mitta / Swampy Plain / Tumut) over a five-day period with guiding (drift boat and/or walk/wade fishing), lunches, accommodation and local transport. The only thing not included is travel to and from Khancoban, fishing licences, alcohol and breakfasts / dinners (self-cater or local restaurants).
This trip is for the adventurous fly fisher who would like to see and fish some of the best rivers on mainland Australia from the comfort of a drift boat. It is also a great way to make up for a lost international trip.
There are set dates below but this trip can be run at anytime/on demand if you can get together a group of four, six, or eight anglers. Based on recent seasons it is our recommendation to avoid the warmer months as some of these rivers are often running too hot, making for poor fishing. Our advice is to look at two main windows i.e. late October to mid November, and mid March to late April as your best bet for decent fishing on these rivers.
|AVAILABLE DATES 2021 – 2022
or pick any six day window and ask us.
|SUN 20 MAR – SAT 26 MAR||AVAILABLE|
|SUN 27 MAR – SAT 2 APR||AVAILABLE|
|SUN 3 APR – SAT 9 APR||AVAILABLE|
|SUN 10 APR – SAT 16 APR||AVAILABLE|
|SUN 17 APR – SAT 23 APR||AVAILABLE|
|SUN 23 APR – SAT 30 APR||AVAILABLE|
DAY 1 SUNDAY
Meet at Khancoban N.S.W. approximately five hours driving time from Melbourne CBD or six hours from Sydney. Stay in Khancoban for six nights.
DAY 2 MONDAY
Fish the Swampy Plain River.
DAY 3: TUESDAY
Fish the Tumut River.
DAY 4: WEDNESDAY
Fish the Mitta Mitta River.
DAY 5: THURSDAY
Fish a high country small stream.
DAY 6: FRIDAY
Fish the Swampy Plain River.
This trip begins and ends in Khancoban where you will be treated to a great week of guided fishing from our drift boats on some of Australia’s most iconic trout fishing rivers, including the Swampy Plain, Tumut and Mitta Mitta.
These rivers are tailraces, meaning they source their water from a dam outlet. Because of this they offer cold and clear water for most of the year, even at the height of summer when other freestone rivers may be too low and/or too warm. All three rivers have healthy numbers of wild trout, extensive sections of inaccessible water for the wading angler (willow lined and / or bounded by private property), and large populations of aquatic insects.
Put simply. They offer some of the best fly fishing in Australia.
Accommodation is provided in the form of private homes. Staying in a central location and venturing out each day gives us a great number of fishing options to choose from over the course of the week and provides us with a settled base; so that all we need worry about each day is catching fish.
While lunches are provided on the guided days, dinners and breakfasts are not included. As Khancoban has extraordinarily little in the way of amenities, we suggest that you bring your favourite mueslis and cereals from home, as well as any bread, eggs etc for breakfasts so that we can be fishing without the need to be back to the shops during trading hours.
Dinners are a mix of self-cater and eating out (pay your own way) but once again, options for dining out are extremely limited in Khancoban and the surrounding area. We can source out high quality and healthy frozen meals on your behalf from the Grant Street Grocer in Alexandra. Please view their website and contact us if you would like us to organise this for your group.
We have found this to be a great option on these trips, allowing us the ability to sneak in an evening rise or two during the week if conditions are suitable.
Lunches ( sandwiches/fruit/water/soft drinks ) are provided on the guided days, as is drinking water.
On the fishing front we will provide you with some of our most experienced guides and drift boat per pair of anglers; as well as the use of any gear if required. All prices are based on twin-share and we need four anglers minimum for a trip to run.
Participants are expected to have their own vehicle for transportation to and from Khancoban. Airport transfers to/from Albury airport can be arranged.
While there are scheduled dates listed above, this trip can be run at any time for you and your group. We have listed what we believe are the best dates for this trip based on likely water levels and temperatures. The Swampy is too hit and miss these days to be considered a reliable high- summer option.
This package was devised around a minimum group size of four (maximum of eight) and cannot run unless we book at least four spots.
Whilst the sample itinerary lists the Swampy Plain River (two days), Tumut River (two days) and Mitta Mitta River (one day) – this is just a rough guide and the choice of which river to fish will come down to the preference of the group each day. We can also throw in a day of wade fishing on a small mountain stream for those who would like to mix things up a little.
So, don’t hesitate. Call up a fishing partner or organise a group for a great six day escape into the foothills of the Snowy Mountains this season.
Please feel free to phone us on 03 5773 2513 or 0418 995 611 at any time. We are available from 8am – 10pm, every day of the week.